Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cant' get light fixture off to change bulb?

I have this weird light fixture I can't unscrew. Help!?

All of the light fixtures in my place look fairly standard--glass half globes in the ceiling with a little cap in the middle holding them in place. When I go to unscrew the cap, there's a small hollow metal rod held place by this flat metal piece, and those seem to be holding the glass part in place. and I can't figure out how to unscrew *this part*. All of the light fixtures in my place have the same problem, so I don't think it's just a matter of the parts being stuck. I've tried all sorts of tools, brute force, I *can't* get this thing unscrewed! Help! I really need to change my lightbulbs. Sorry I don't have a pic. But if anyone has *any* ideas and/or links to websites with info on this topic, I'd greatly appreciate it.Cant' get light fixture off to change bulb?
I am sure you've checked, but just in case.... there are often 2 screws or even 3. Can you see the other side of the fixture?



Brute force is definitely not the answer. If you can get a picture and post it, or email it to me at WebMLS@cinci.rr.com, I might be able to put specific notes on the picture and get it back to you.



Good Luck - Patrick Lea



P.S.



Just asked a person who said theirs has a collar or cuff at the top, which has three screws in it. Check that and email me if it doesn't solve the problem.Cant' get light fixture off to change bulb?
either the flat metal part or the rod unscrews,use pliers
That hollow metal threaded tube will unscrew.
I know exactly what you're talking about. its a washer held on with a nut. Use pliers to turn the nut to the left. Afterwards, you don't need to put those back on. The little finial that screws on is enough to hold the glass
I think I know what you're saying, I have the same light fixtures. Spray a bit of penetrating oil spray on the metal part. Let stand for a few minutes. Use a needle nose plier turning left after wiping off the oil. Push the light fixture up with the other hand while turning left (counter clock wise) with the pliers.
I've installed many of the se fixtures over the years , there is a round nut located at the bottom of the glass then a fiber washer then glass if you are able to reach inside of the glass there is a nut which holds the fixture to tight to the ceiling. Tighten the upper nut before you try to remove the lower one this will help, If you are able to grip the rod do so and then the bottom nut and while you are changing the lamps tighten the upper nut if the rod is unscrewed you will have to remove the two screws that hold the fixture to the box to reinstall the rod correctly, at this point you be exposed to hot conductors. Make sure your switch is in the off or open position and taped so no one else can turn the power on.
Once cover screw is removed, plastic shade should drop leaving threaded rod intact,at the top of rod are 2 clips which when squeezed together will release from base of fitting,allowing old lamp to be removed,refit in opposite way.

No comments:

Post a Comment